Digital Marketing has come a long way, from being a fledgling niche to an industry in and of itself. With the growing number of internet users, it’s rise will only be all the more exponential. To put things in context, the basics are well worth going over:
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing refers to the advertising of a business, product or service to the general public primarily through the means of the internet. The gist of it being, to complete the cycle of any digital marketing there must be a way to amplify and deliver the message through a digital medium.
If the above statistic is any indication of the future, it only further lends credence to Digital Marketing being a booming industry which enables companies to vastly expand their reach, it’s effectiveness and affordability all set to dwarf it’s traditional counterpart to the extent of rendering the former behemoth obsolete.
Factors That Come Into Play:
1. Rapid Increase in Indian Internet Users
Taking into account the Indian market, as of 2016 in India we’ve managed to get 43 crore users already online. This number is only growing at an exceedingly fast pace, which translates into a 38% penetration in the country. As a corollary this effectively results in a further increase in demand as more and more people connect to the internet.
2. Millennials Use the Internet More
Most of the millennials are perennially hooked to their smart phones, with most of them having accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., which makes them very attractive prospects as far as target audiences go.
3. Customised targeting
Probably the biggest reason which makes Digital Marketing appealing and is driving it’s growth is the ability to reach your audience with very specific personal /educational /professional details and using them as the basis of targeting.
Most experts are firm on the belief that 'Digital' is not just yet another channel for marketing. It requires a new approach to marketing and a new understanding of customer behavior. As an example, it requires companies to analyse and quantify the value of downloads of apps on mobile devices, tweets on Twitter, likes on Facebook, users on Instagram and so on.
Getting Started in the Industry:
Digital marketing is a massive field with variety of career options, chief among which are-
· Content Marketing: Content is fundamental and is the base for all your marketing. Nearly 50% of the companies have a dedicated content strategy.
· Search Engine Optimization(SEO): More than one-third of traffic from Google’s organic search result goes to the first item listed. So, being familiar with the various strategies of SEO will ensure you have a cutting edge in the digital marketing industry.
· Social Media Marketing: Social media budgets will double in the forthcoming years. As internet penetration is garners more and more potential customers, every social media platform will be massively leveraged in the quest for people’s attention and above all, their wallet.
To sum it up, the best time to get into the industry is at the nascent stages when the demand far exceeds the supply as opposed to vice versa. Suffice to say, anybody with the requisite creative bent and determination will find the field of Digital Marketing immensely rewarding, personally and financially.